Refereed Journals (Patterson was my maiden name)
- J. Stewart, A. Clarke and R. Chen, “Experimental Study of the Performance and Emissions Characteristics of a Small Diesel Genset Operating when Dual Fuelled with Methane” International Journal of Energy Research (2006)
- J. Stewart, A. Clarke and R. Chen, ”An experimental study of the dual-fuel performance of a small compression ignition diesel engine operating with three gaseous fuels”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 221(8), 2007, pp 943-956, ISSN 0954-4070.
- A. Gazis, D. Panousakis, J. Patterson, W. Chen, R. Chen and J. Turner, ”Using In-Cylinder Gas Internal Energy Balance to Calibrate Cylinder Pressure Data and Estimate Residual Gas Amount in Gasoline Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion”, Experimental Heat Transfer, Vol. 21(4), October 2008, pp 257-280, ISSN: 0891-6152.
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart, J. Stewart and C. Cowley, “DC Voltage Stabilisation for the Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle” Transactions of the Institute of Instrumentation, Systems and Automation, Vol. 47 (2) pp 222-228, 2008.
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart, M. Parr and J. Stewart, “Multiobjective evolutionary-fuzzy augmented flight controller for an F16 Aircraft.” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 224 (2), pp 201-218, 2009 Awarded IMechE Charles Sharpe Beecher Prize for best Aerospace Paper of 2010
- P. Stewart, D. Gladwin, J. Stewart, R. Chen and E. Winward, “Improved Decision Support for Engine in the loop Experimental Design Optimisation: Part I – Algorithm development study.” Institution of Mechanical Engineers Proc D – Automobile Engineering, Vol. 224 (2), pp201-210, 2009.
- P. Stewart, D. Gladwin, J. Stewart, R. Chen and E. Winward, “Improved Decision Support for Engine in the loop Experimental Design Optimisation: Part 2– Engine in the Loop Experimental application”, Institution of Mechanical Engineers Proc D – Automobile Engineering. Vol. 224 (2), pp 210-218, 2009.
- J. Stewart and A. Clarke, “A Three-Zone Heat-Release Rate Model for Dual-Fuel Combustion” Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part C – Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science Vol. 224 (3) pp 293-309, 2010.
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart and J. Stewart, “Internal combustion engine control for series-hybrid electric vehicles by evolutionary programming methods” International Journal of Systems Science – Computational Intelligence for Modelling and Control of Advanced Automotive Drivetrains. Vol. 42 (2) pp 249-261 ISSN 0020-7721 (2011).
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart and J. Stewart, “A Controlled Migration Genetic Algorithm Operator for Hardware-in-the-Loop Experimentation”, IFAC Journal of Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. Vol. 24 (4), pp 586-594, (2011)
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart and J. Stewart, “A novel Genetic Programming approach to the design of engine control systems for the voltage stabilization of Hybrid Electric Vehicle generator outputs”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering Part D – Journal of Automobile Engineering. Vol. 225, pp1334-1346 (2011).
- J. Stewart, G. S. Okin, A. J. Parsons, J. Wainwright, B. Bestelmeyer, E. Fredrickson and W. H. Schlesinger, “Modelling Emergent Patterns of Dynamic Desert Ecosystems as a Function of Changing Landscape Connectivity” Ecological Monographs Vol 84 (3) pp 373-410 (2014)
- S. Wilson, P. Stewart and J. Stewart, “Real-time thermal management of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors by resistance estimation”, IET Transactions in Electric Power Applications pp 716-726 (2011) ISSN 1751-8660
- Z. Yang, W. Kuen-Ling, J. Stewart and C. Bingham, “Sensor Fault Detection and Measurement Reconstruction for Increasing Operational Availability of Industrial Gas Turbines” IET Science, Measurement & Technology (Accepted for Publication November 2011)
- B. S. Bhattacharya, D. Coyle, L.P. Maguire and J. Stewart “Kinetic modelling of synaptic functions in the alpha rhythm neural mass model” Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol.7552, (1) pp 645-652 (2012)
- T. Smith, C. Bingham, P. Stewart, R. Allarton and J. Stewart, “Energy Harvesting and Power Network Architectures for the MAAT High Altitude Cruiser-Feeder Airship Concept” Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering. Vol. 227, (4) pp 586-598 (2013)
- M. Gallimore and J. Stewart, “Increasing the Impact of Mathematics Support on Aiding Student Transition in Higher Education” Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications: International Journal of the IMA (Accepted for Publication, February 2013)
- T. Smith, C. Bingham, P. Stewart, R. Allarton and J. Stewart, “Energy Harvesting for the MAAT High Altitude Cruiser-Feeder Airship Concept” International Journal of Photoenergy: Photovoltaic Materials and Devices (Manuscript number 581042 – Under Review 2013)
- G. Knowles, A. Kirk, J. Stewart, R. Bickerton and C. Bingham “Theoretical Investigation into balancing high-speed, flexible-shafts by the use of a novel compensating balance sleeve” Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science Vol 228 (13) pp 2323 – 2336 (2013)
- Z. Cen, T. Smith, P. Stewart and J. Stewart “Integrated Flight/Thrust Vectoring for Jet Powered Unmanned Aerial Vehicles with ACHEON Propulsion” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering vol 229, pp1057-1075, May 2015 first published online July 29, 2014 DOI: 10.1177/0954410014544179
- F. E. Agbonzikilo, I. Owen, J. Stewart S. K. Sadasivuni, M. Riley and V. E. Sanderson, “Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Fuel-Air Mixing in a Radial Swirler Slot of a Dry Low Emission Gas Turbine Combustor” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power vol 138 (6), 061502, (June 2016)
- M. Trancossi, A. Dumas, J. Stewart, M. Madonia, J. Pascoa “Constructional Design of an Entropic Wall With Circulating Water Inside” Journal of Heat Transfer vol 138 (8), 082801, (April 2016)
- M. Transcossi, J. Stewart, M. Subhash and D. Angeli “Mathematical Model of a Constructional Coanda Effect Nozzle” Journal of Applied Fluid Dynamics vol 9 (6) ISSN 1735-3572 (2016)
Refereed International Conferences
- R. Bickerton, J. Patterson, A. Clarke, A. and N. Al-Khayat, ”Use of Hybrid Vehicle Technology in Industrial Applications” Total Vehicle Technology, Finding the Radical, Implementing the Practical, P.R.N. Childs and R.K. Stobart (Eds), University of Sussex, pp 197-208, ISBN 186 058 4608 (2004)
- R. Chen, J. Patterson and N. Milovanovic, ”Dimethyl Ether and Bio-diesel Fuels – The Potential Renewable Fuels for CI and HCCI Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines”, Proceedings of the 2nd Asian DME Conference, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, pp 293-307, September (2005)
- D. Panousakis, A. Gasiz, J. Patterson and R. Chen, “Using Ion-current Sensing to Interpret Gasoline HCCI Combustion Processes”, SAE World Congress, Paper No. 2006-01-0024, (2006)
- D. Panousakis, A. Gasiz, J. Patterson and R. Chen, “Analysis of SI Combustion Diagnostics Methods Using Ion-current Sensing Techniques”, SAE World Congress, (2006), Paper No. 2006-01-1345
- D. Panousakis, A. Gasiz, J. Patterson, W.A. Chen, R. Chen, J. Turner, and N. Milovanovic, “Ion Current Signal Interpretation via Artificial Neural Networks for Gasoline HCCI Control”, SAE World Congress, Paper No. 2006-01-1088, (2006)
- J. Patterson, M. G. Hassan, A. Clarke, G. Sharma, K. Hellgardt and R. Chen, “Experimental Study of DI Diesel Engine Performance Using Three Different Biodiesel Fuels”, SAE World Congress, Paper No. 2006-01-0234, (2006)
- J. Patterson, A. Clarke and R. Chen, “Experimental Study of the Performance and Emissions Characteristics of a Small Diesel Genset Operating in Dual Fuel Mode with Three Different Primary Fuels”, SAE World Congress, Paper No. 2006-01-0234, (2006)
- N. Milovanovic, D. W. Blundell, J. Turner, D. Panousakis, A. Gazis, J. Patterson and R. Chen, ”The Advance Combustion Control in a Hybrid SI/HCCI Engine by Using Ion Current Sensing” , Proceedings of the 2006 JSAE Annual Congress Paper No. JSAE 20065415, Yokohama, Japan, pp 1-10, May (2006),
- K. Joyce, R. Chen, P. Osei-Owusu, J. Patterson and J. Turner, ”Linear Regression and its use in predicting the link between ionization current and the pressure signal in a hybrid mode engine”, Proceedings of the SAE 2006, SAE Powertrain and Fluid Systems Conference, Toronto, Canada, October (2006)
- J. Stewart, G. S. Okin, A. J. Parsons, J. Wainwright, B. Bestelmeyer, E. Fredrickson and W.H. Schlesinger, “Modelling Emergent Patterns of Dynamic Desert Ecosystems as a Function of Changing Landscape Connectivity” EGU General Assembly, Vienna, April, (2007)
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart, M. Parr and J. Stewart “A multi-objective G.A. fuzzy logic augmented flight controller for an F16 Aircraft.” IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, pp.865-870, London UK. Invited Paper, 23-26 July (2007)
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart, J. Stewart and R. Cowley, “Generator voltage stabilisation for the series-hybrid vehicle”, 33rd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON 2007), Taipei, Taiwan, Invited Paper. 5-8th November (2007)
- J. Wainwright, A. J. Parsons, G. S. Okin, J. Stewart, L. Turnbull, E. N. Mueller, R. E. Brazier, “Holistic approaches to a patchy problem: ecohydrological interactions in desertification.” British Ecological Society Annual Meeting, (2007) Invited Presentation
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart and J. Stewart, “Optimal engine control for series-hybrid electric vehicles by evolutionary programming methods” SAE International 2008 Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants Congress, Shanghai, China 08SFL-0258. June 23-25, (2008)
- D. Gladwin, P. Stewart, J. Stewart, R.Chen and E. Winward, “An adaptive decision support methodology for process-in-the-loop optimisation”, SCS/IEEE International Workshop on Modelling and Applied simulation (MAS2008), Calabria, Italy September 17-19, (2008)
- J. Wainwright, J. Stewart, A. J. Parsons, G. S. Okin, B. Bestelmeyer, E. Fredrickson and W. H. Schlesinger, “Cellular Modelling of Emergent Patterson of Dynamic Desert Ecosystems: The Role of Changing Landscape Connectivity”, British Society for Geomorphology Annual Meeting, Exeter, (2008)
- J. Wainwright, L. Turnbull, A. J. Parsons, J. Stewart, G. S. Okin, R. E. Brazier and E. N. Mueller, “Patchiness, scale and connectivity understanding ecohydrological interactions in desertification”, EURECO – GFOE, Leipzig, (2008)
- R. G. Bryant, R. L. Reynolds, J. C. Yount, M. Reheis, H. Goldstein, P. Chavez Jr., J. Whitney, G. N. Breit, M. G. Velasco, R. C. Bogle and J. Stewart, “Mapping Aeolian Erosion on Mesquite Lake, California/Nevada, USA”, Windy Day, London, (2008)
- J. Stewart, A. J. Parsons, J. Wainwright, G. S. Okin, B. Bestelmeyer, E. Fredrickson and W. H. Schlesinger, “Dynamics and Resilience of Desert Ecosystems under Changing Climate” AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, December (2008)
- J. Wainwright, A. J. Parsons, J. Stewart, G. S. Okin, L. Turnbull and R. E. Brazier “Ecogeomorphology and Scale: Desertification due to Woody Shrub Encroachment in the US Southwest”, IAG, Melbourne, February (2009)
- G. S. Okin, J. Stewart, J. E. Herrick, A. J. Parsons, J. Wainwright, J. P. C. Peters and B. T. Bestelmeyer, “Connectivity and Ecohydrological Feedbacks in Desertification” AGU Chapman Conference, Boise, October (2009) Invited Presentation.
- R. Chen and J. Stewart, ”Experimental Study on a Small Diesel Genset Dual Fuelled with Methane”, The 15th Asia Pacific Automotive Engineering Conference Paper No. APAC 15-22, Vietnam, 2009, pp 1-11.
- M. Gallimore, J. Stewart and J. Lawrence, “Increasing Student Success, Engagement and Retention through a Novel Approach to Mathematics Support” What works? Student Retention and Success Conference, University of York, 18-29th March (2012)
- J. Stewart and M. Gallimore “Employer Engagement” Symposium, National HESTEM Programme Conference, Birmingham University, 4th – 6th September (2012)
- M. Riley and J. Stewart, “A Simplex-like Search Method for Bi-Objective Optimisation” International Conference on Engineering Optimization, Rio de Janerio, Brazil, 1-5 July (2012)
- F. Okhuahesogie, J. Stewart, J and F. Heyes, “Novel Design Methodology for 2-Stage Turbocharger Impellors” KTP Associates Conference, University of Brighton, 14th June (2012) Conference Digest, pp 47-54, ISBN 978-1-905593
- Z. Yang, C. Bingham, W. Kuen-Ling, Y, Zhang, M. Gallimore and J. Stewart, “Unit Operational Pattern Analysis and Forecasting and Analysis using EMD and SSA for Industrial Systems” International Symposium for Intelligent Data Analysis, Helsinki, Iceland, 25th – 27th October (2012)
- Z. Yang, C. Bingham, Y, Zhang, M. Gallimore and J. Stewart, “Applied Sensor Fault Detection, Identification and Data Reconstruction Based on PCA and SOMNN for Industrial Systems” 3rd International Conference on Applied Mathematics and Informatics (AMATHI ’12), Montreaux, Switzerland, 29-31 December (2012)
- M. Riley, M. Gallimore, C. Bingham and J. Stewart, “Gas Turbine health classification using a hybridized optimization algorithm” 4th International Conference on Integrity, Reliability and Failure (IRF2013), Funchal, Portugal, 23-27 June (2013)
- A. Kirk, G. Knowles, J. Stewart and C. Bingham, “Mathematical development and modelling of a counter balance compensating sleeve for the suppression of lateral vibrations in high speed flexible couplings” ASME Turbo Expo (2013) Paper number GT2013-95634
- Y. Zhang, C. Bingham, Z. Yang and J. Stewart “Fault detection and diagnosis based on Y-indices and Residual Errors” Mechatronika, 15th International Symposium, Prague, Czech Republic 5th -7th December (2012)
- Y. Zhang, C. Bingham, Z. Yang and J. Stewart “Machine Fault Detection During Transient Operation Using Measurement Denoising” IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Virtual Environments for Measurement Systems and Applications (CIVEMSA), Milan, Italy, 15-17 July (2013)
- F. Okhuahesogie, J. Stewart, M. Riley, F. Heyes, P. Roach “A 1-D analytical code for the optimisation of high-pressure compressors within two-stage turbochargers for marine applications” 11th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, London, 13-14 May (2014)
- F. Agbonzikilo, J. Stewart, S. K. Sadasivuni, I. Owen, M. Riley, V. Sanderson “ “Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Fuel-Air Mixing in a Radial Swirler Slot of a Dray Low Emission Gas Turbine Combustor” GT2014-27099, Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2014, Dusseldorf, Germany, June 16-20 (2014)
- J. Stewart and A. Parsons “Signal and noise in vegetation patterns in drylands: distinguishing the baby from the bathwater”(EGU2014-1425). EGU General Assembly, Vienna, April, (2014)
- J. C. P. Marques, P. Stewart and J. Stewart “Modeling small robotic airships for cargo distribution inside cities and urban areas” ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition, IMECE2014-38963, Montreal, Canada, 14-20 June (2014)
- M. Trancossi, J. Stewart and J. Pascoa “A new propelled wing aircraft conficuration” ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition, IMECE2016-65373, Phoenix, USA, 11 – 17th November (2016)
Other Invited Seminars and Keynote Speeches
“Combustion Diagnostics of a Dual Fuel Engine via a Three-Zone Model for Heat Release Rate Analysis.” Current Research in Combustion, Institution of Physics, Loughborough, 22 September (2009)
“Modern Universities – Research Collaboration with Siemens to Produce Industry Ready Engineers” Modern Universities Research Group Workshop, Goodenough College, London, 28 September (2012)
“How Should Teaching and Learning Optimise Transformative Processes, and Add Value to Human Capital in Future”. New Engineering Foundation Innovisions 2013, The Institute of Director, London, 4th December (2013)
“What is Engineering?” International Women’s Day STEM Conference, University of Chester, 7th March (2014)
- Patterson and A. Clarke “Dual Fuel and Fumigated Gas-Diesel Engines: An experimental, optical and modelling study” SET for Britain, Houses of Commons, London 7th November (2003) Winner Science and Technology Prize
- Patterson “Stuck in the Middle with Fuel: A social history of alternative fuels” BA Festival of Science, University of Exeter 4-11 September (2004) Finalist Perspectives Competition
- Stewart “Emergent Patterns of Dynamic Desert Ecosystems” Meeting of Young Researchers in Environmental Science, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA, May 20-23 (2008)
- Stewart, “Engineering future graduates” Public Service Review: UK Science and Technology, Issue 4 pp 42-43 (2011)
- Stewart “Building Excellence” Total Politics, Issue 49 pp 68 (2012)
- Stewart, “Engineering” THE Textbook Guide, Times Higher Education, 7th November (2013)